The Kickstart Scheme is a government scheme helping young people aged 16 to 24 get into the job market. It does this by providing government funding for employers to create six-month job placements.
Why bother? Why not stay on Universal Credit?
Because it's boring, not to mention demoralising, to keep applying for jobs day in, day out, with very little response or feedback.
Because there's no better feeling than getting out there and earning some money doing something that's valued by others.
Because if something's stuck, or not working well for you, you can change it.
Because we can guide you to present yourself in the best possible light for a job interview.
And if you don't get hired? We'll keep working with you until you do.
You'll gain valuable experience, both in interview and in the role itself, plus there's a possibility of long term employment at the end of the placement and at the very least, you'll walk away with all-important experience to help you in your future job search.
People and Their Brilliance is a Government Gateway, which means that we act as the middle (wo)man, matching up candidates with employment opportunities. Some Gateways just manage applications; others, like us, offer the whole shebang, from referral through to employability training and support.
Here's how we can help you:
1) Ask your Job Centre Plus work coach to refer you to one of our Kickstart roles
2) Send us your CV and cover letter. We'll send them straight through to the employer.
3) If you're called to interview, we provide you with our unRecruitment training to help you to prepare. Our unRecruitment process involves two, two-hour online sessions (relaxed, no assessments, no competition) and one piece of preparation. If you're offered an interview, it's automatically provided but you can choose to attend sessions before you apply.
4) If you're successful in the role, you'll get a minimum of 25 hours' employment per week at 100% of the relevant National Minimum Wage, plus associated employer National Insurance Contributions.
5) Once we've seen you into your role, we don't just leave you there. We offer you continued support throughout the six months of your placement from one of our specially trained coaches. This is our Radical Employability training, and it's world class.
We realise that, for many young jobseekers, the word 'training' fills you with dread. You've been there, toiled through the 40 something hours of training, got the certificate and been offered the zero hours contract. We're different. For a start, we don't do 'training', as such. We offer a safe, supportive environment for you to hang out with other people in the same boat as you, talk about your challenges, support each other, and learn about yourself in the process.